Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Teaching Day 1

So day one of teaching is over, overall I had a pretty successful day. I would sum up my three different classes by saying that grade 5 was mostly quiet, grade 3 was the "rowdiest" and I put that in quotes because they weren't off the walls bad, just chattier than my other classes. Grade 4 had the most students but they were well behaved. I didn't have a problem getting students to participate and I think I carried off the lesson well, and hopefully explained things in a way they understand. Gotta say it was a bit of a throwback teaching them things like what is a sentence vs. a fragment and how to pluralize words; made me remember when I was learning those things. There were some painfully shy kids and some who raised their hands every minute to answer questions, but that's to be expected. I had an internal lol moment when I was trying to break the ice by asking one of my 5th graders what he likes to do and he said "sitting," I mean how blase is that lol.....or you know, maybe he just likes sitting. I found that I'm also an assertive teacher because if you give kids even an inkling that you're a pushover they will walk all over you. Now I'm going to review tomorrow's work and also try to think of fun exercises so that they don't fall asleep on me. So far I like teaching, let's hope it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment