1. What is the working title of your book? Affairs of the Dead
2. Where did the idea come from for the book? One day a random thought about "helping the dead" popped into my mind and I started thinking about a world where ghosts hung around because they had unfinished business and the MC being one of the people who had to help them so they could cross over (kinda sounds like Ghost Whisperer, I know). That was the basic idea but it evolved into a lot more
3. What genre does your book fall under? Adult Urban Fantasy
4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? Ha, I'm not good with questions like this, too much thinking involved. I really don't know, never seriously thought about it!
5. What is a one sentence synopsis of your book? Help ghosts, stop a murdering body thief, try not to die - that's some checklist for necromancer Selene
6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? Affairs will be published later this year by Etopia Press
7. How long did it take to write the first draft of your manuscript? Ten days
8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? Any other fun, kick ass urban fantasy that's out there!
9. Who or What inspired you to write this book? My imagination =)
10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest? Ahh, I hate talking up my own stuff, so here's a description of it, hopefully it will pique your interest enough to want to read it when it comes out!
Necromancer Selene Vanream helps ghosts settle their affairs so they can fade to the afterlife. However, after her rule breaking methods of helping her clients lands her in trouble, she’s downgraded to tracking ghosts who hide out, since ghosts that linger too long become murderous beasties. And here Selene thought having an affair with the boss would get her out of trouble, not into it.
While tracking, Selene finds Ethan, a ghost who claims he was kicked out of his body and someone else jumped in. Reanimation, the power to resurrect the dead using souls of the living, would be the most likely explanation if only it added up to how Ethan became a ghost. What’s worse, partnered with Micah -- a one night stand who turned hostile after --, Selene investigates murders where Ethan’s stolen body is pinpointed as the culprit.
When Selene accidentally binds herself to Ethan, she suddenly has very personal reasons to get his body back. That’s because being ghost bound incurs the Rot, and will eventually kill her due to constant exposure to ghost energy. Throw in a shifting relationship with Micah and a suddenly possessive boss, and Selene will learn just how much trouble you can get into when you don’t follow the rules.
I've tagged Kelley Lynn, so make sure you check out her post next week. She's a YA author and her novel Fraction of Stone will be published in March!